Monday, May 22, 2023

Norman Depoe

I met Norman at the Club 22 at the Windsor Arms in Toronto sometime around 78 79
I forget exactly how we met but I think we were both drinking alone in a slow afternoon in the bar.
It took me a few minutes but I remember his eyes lit up a bit when I recognized him. I was very young when he was the figurehead of CBC News. I knew both of his children David from Hippie days and Suzanne from the movie biz. He had seemed a little bit sad and a bit lost but brightened to have an avid listener. He had great stories and enlightened opinions. For about six months or so I would see him once a week or so and always happy to chat. One afternoon I happened to be sitting with a couple of CTV
people when he came in I invited to our table and introduced him. I remember his smile as he received words of admiration. I was saddened to see some weeks later that he had been mugged and beaten badly. He died not long afterwards


No comments: