Saturday, May 20, 2023

Gerald Gladstone


I don't remember how or where I met Gerry but it was in 1967 at one of the many Art party openings etc. Somehow i became Gerry's poor struggling artist and he liked buying me a few drinks and a chat at occasional meetings we became good friends over the years and in the eighties when he had moved to Beaverton he usually looked for me at the Club 22 for an hour or so of drinks and talk. I was also friends with his wife Sheila and I even silkscreened some material for her fashion designs.
I remember one night at the old pilot i came in a Gerry invited me to sit with his large party which included a renowned heart surgeon and Eric Nesterenko the hockey player. They were buying rounds which were fairly expensive so when it was my turn Gerry said I will pay for the poor artist. As it happened I had $6000 in my pocket for a group cannabis deal. So I couldn't help but bring out the roll and pay the round. Mostly we met at Art openings but later he would seek me out at the 22 and we became good friends. He was certainly a force in Canadian Art everything he did was big and newsworthy.
Gerald Gladstone
Canadian sculptor
Description Gerald Gladstone was a Canadian sculptor and painter. Wikipedia
Born: January 7, 1929, Toronto
Died: March 7, 2005, Toronto
Art forms: Sculpture, Painting
Education: Royal College of Art
Artworks: Female Landscape, Universal Man
Children: Brant Gladstone, Seana (Gladstone) Wohlfeil, MORE
Movements: Figurative art, Sculpture







No comments: