Wednesday, March 6, 2024

KEN DANBY



I hung out with Ken for a while at his coffee house in Toronto. The New Gate of Cleve. I was hanging out with him one afternoon. He was working on a poster for Mariposa 63. Ed Cowan came by and through him I ended up with a job at the festival. Somewhere along the way Ken broke a leg and was hobbling along with a cast.
A couple of weeks after Mariposa, Goodwood Go track had a big due with concerts and a tent city. I was duty bootlegger. I had a tent filled booze. Ken stayed in the tent with me. When suddenly we were raided by the provincial police. Ken and sneaked away and sat up on a hill and watched the police check every tent except for mine. Ken was pretty much a wild guy to hang with. I think this was his last hurrah. It was the last I saw of him as he suddenly cleaned up his act and concentrated on his painting.
Ken Danby (1940-2007) was one of Canada's foremost practitioners of contemporary realism. Rooted in the Canadian psyche, nourished by his Ontario rural roots, Danby's subject matter was broad and expansive, yet it was the images of Canadian landscapes and life that captured the public's attention. At the Crease, a 1972 egg tempera painting depicting a nameless hockey goalie viewed from ice-level, was his best-known work, and for many, it defined him as an artist.

No comments: