Saturday, October 8, 2022

Peter Gzowski


I met Peter when he was doing his TV Show. I guess it put him under a lot of pressure. He would come to my bar a couple of times a week to unwind. We spent many a night just the 2 of us in my backroom playing pinball for 20 bucks a game. We talked about a lot of things. 
Interacting with Peter, a Canadian icon known as "Saint Peter," left a lasting impression on me. Despite his fame and reputation, he was just like the rest of us, with his own vulnerabilities and struggles. The way he shared with me about a hockey game being the most important moment of his life was both surprising and insightful. It made me realize that even those we put on pedestals have their own personal perceptions of significance.

His interactions with me and the people around him, such as bringing guests to my bar and playing card games with friends, showcased a more human side to him. He was not just a famous personality, but someone who enjoyed the simple pleasures in life like playing pinball and sharing a bottle of wine. Despite his celebrity status, he never hesitated to reach out for help, like when I had to send a taxi to CBC to deliver a forgotten script.

Meeting him years later on the Esplanade,I asked him why He hadn't seen me in a longtime  and hearing him say that I reminded him of a bad time in his life was a stark reminder of the complexities of human relationships. It made me reflect on the impact we can have on others, even unintentionally, and how our actions and words can shape their perceptions of us.

In writing about these personal reflections, I want to convey the humanity behind the fame and the struggles that even icons like Peter can face. It is a reminder that we are all just individuals navigating through life, each with our own stories and experiences. Rubbing shoulders with celebrities of my generation has given me a unique perspective on the human experience, and I hope to share that perspective through my writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful pic of Robert Markle. A wave of memories. Markle was my all time favorite, a wild and wonderful man. I think the blog is great, Gary's Bar. Perfect.
the Peter Gzowski story is really wonderful.
Cayle Chernin

EXSENO said...

He should have realized that it's o.k. to remember bad times, they make all of the good times so much better.